Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Terror On Tape!

Remember the Mom and Pop video store that you used to go to back in the day? I had a few of them because my family moved to a new town sometime around 1989 when I was 13. This particular video compilation, Terror On Tape, was on the wooden shelves of Hennessy News in Scituate MA. These days, Hennessy doesn't have much of a video section anymore, but when I was growing up, they were the place to go for your horror flicks - the other video rental store up the road got rid of their horror section and beefed up their kids section, but the lady who owned it was great and I would often rent non horror movies from her, just because I enjoyed stopping by and chatting with her now and then. Anyway, I'm getting off track here.
VHS is pretty much long gone at this point, and "Big Box" covers like the one Terror On Tape came in are valuable, desired collector's items for fans of the genre. All the movies showcased in this awesomely trashy compilation were those flicks! So you can imagine how I wish I had rented this one back when I had the chance - it's not an easy one to find, and I don't even have a VCR anymore anyway! I remember there was a picture on the back of a girl sitting in a chair, and I think she might have been dead, but it's been so many years I don't remember too well - but I remember it freaked me out a little! As an adult, I've actively searched out stuff like this that bothered me as a kid, it never bothers me now, in fact I enjoy finally seeing them because it's amusing how much more active my imagination is compared to how cheesy these movies end up being! Well, someone out there was kind enough to rip it and upload it to the internet, and I watched it this afternoon.
Terror On Tape is a hilarious video compilation of some of the goriest scenes from Continental Video's distribution collection from back in the early-mid 80's. Hosted by Cameron Mitchell, who plays a creepy video store clerk. He shows 3 different customers scenes from these schlockfests, often with amusing results!
Lots of outrageous gore and sex scenes are highlighted from various titles: (cut from Imdb.com)
Blood Feast (1963)
Two Thousand Maniacs! (1964)
Color Me Blood Red (1965)
Ghost Story (1974)
L'ossessa (1974)
Frozen Scream (1975)
Suicide Cult (1975)
To the Devil a Daughter (1976)
Ruby (1977)
Cauchemares (1977)
Prey (1978)
Vampire Hookers (1978)
The Kidnapping of the President (1980)
Incubo sulla città contaminata (1980)
Nightmare (1981)
Blood Tide (1982)
The Slayer (1982)
The Deadly Spawn (1983)
Scalps (1983)

Needless to say, good times! Now I just have to run down this list and see how many of these I can find to watch. I've already seen the Herschell Gordon Lewis titles, along with Nightmare and Cathy's Curse (aka Cauchemares - wtf is that?) Those are worth a revisit, anyway.

So... who's up for a movie night?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails