Monday, May 17, 2010

Nightmare On Elm Street... zzzzzzzz

My sentiments exactly.

I'm not anti remake, generally speaking. See, I love watching horror movies so much that I'm willing to give them all a chance. As a life long fan of the Elm Street series - and especially of the first movie, I was looking forward to the remake, hoping that they would make it even more visceral and nightmarish than was possible back in 1984. What I got was a snoozefest of biblical proportions.
None of the actors - NONE of them, not even Jackie Earle Haley, gave a performance worth looking at. The "kids" were boring and predictable and I didn't care if they lived or died, in fact, I was glad to see them go, when they did go. The death scenes were dull compared to the original! The Kris death scene was so lame I almost wanted to cry. What was burned into my memory as a child and still freaks me out a little to this day was dumbed down and had almost no blood in it. And the way it screeched to an abrupt halt was so anticlimactic! They did it better in Wes Craven's New Nightmare, to be completely honest!
Freddy had a couple of minorly creepy moments, but nothing compared to the original, yet again. I hate to compare this to the original, but since they attempted to borrow from it's script so many times and fell flat with everything they took, it's hard not to. The exception was the body bag scene, but even that was kinda lame, especially Nancy's reaction to it. I'm sorry, but if I ever saw my dead friend, bloody in a bag standing in front of me and screaming with blood pouring from her mouth, I think I'd be a lot more shook up than she was!
Probably the freakiest shot in the whole flick.

At any rate, I did go into this with an open mind, I really hoped I would like it, but it just plain bored the crap out of me. I will probably watch it again when it's released on DVD, more or less to see what they cut out of it, since the deleted stuff actually looks like it could have made the movie a little more frightening. But again, the characters were played so dull that it was hard to give a shit about any of them. Nancy was especially disappointing - she's a far cry from the heroine Nancy of the original series. She doesn't grow a pair until the very end, and even then... Blah.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails